Today is Monday and I felt like making a list. I’ve managed to stumble across some various “Top Sci-Fi Movie” lists recently and it got me thinking. What are my favorites? I mean this is my favorite genre and all…how could I not have a list? To end this internal debate with myself I am making one such list. All of these films (which are in order of preference) are my favorites. I have not seen every sci-fi movie… Bearing this in mind, see what I came up with… Concurrence? Dissent? I love feedback!
10. Men in Black – The movies are hysterical! “Edgar, your skin is hanging off your bones.” nuf said.
9. The Matrix – W-O-W. I love the trilogy, start to finish.
8. Minority Report – Retinal scanning. Cars on auto-pilot. Pre-cogs. Cool.
7. Aliens – All of them. My favorite is the second film, but they all are just generally superb.
6. Independence Day – Great sci-fi all around. Oh, the speech Bill Pullman gives at the end to rally the troops is probably my favorite patriotic-movie speech of all time.
5. Stargate – The film from which one of my favorite TV series is based. *sigh. And, there are folks who really believe the Pyramids are landing pads for spaceships. Go to Egypt and ask a tour guide. They will laugh at you…a lot.
4. Serenity – Because I wish Mal was my captain, Jane was my bodyguard, and Reevers are crazy freaky.
3. The Fifth Element – Mull-Tee-Pass and orange hair. Yeah.
2. Starship Troopers – Almost #1 in my book. Loved this film from the first viewing. Made me want to join the gender equal military and kill some bugs. Which is no easy feat.
…and the winner is….
1. Galaxy Quest – Because it makes fun of me and all that I love in the most witty and hilarious way. “Never give up. Never surrender.” 🙂
Honorable Mentions: Star Wars, Contact, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Waterworld, Tank Girl, The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Gattaca, Blade, A.I., Red Planet, Sphere, Event Horizon, Resident Evil